In our classroom we have just finished studying transport so we thought we would take a quick trip around the world. We might even be able to catch up with Mrs. Froelich on her travels.
|What is the problem in your narrative?||They got lost.|
|What solution did you think of?||A boy helped them.|
|What is another solution for your problem?||They see light and follow it.|
We love the four seasons and they feel very different! Our winter starts in December, and it is COLD! This winter it was -40 degrees Celsius a lot! When it is that cold out, we have to stay inside for recess because we can get frostbite. When you breathe in
and out, you can see your breath in the air because it is so cold! In the winter we like to
build snowmen (and women!) and make snow angels and drink hot chocolate. Sometimes we
even have snow days where we don’t go to school because no one can get out of their
driveways! What is your winter like? We have Christmas during our winter – is your
Christmas in your summer? This winter we went to the Royal Botanical Gardens to learn
about animals that hibernate in the winter! We are sending you a picture of it! Have you
ever had snow?
Our winter starts in June. It gets cold but there is no snow. Sometimes it is sunny and sometimes it rains. We don’t have any snow days but we have wet-day timetables when we have to stay inside at lunch time and recess because it is too wet and muddy outside. (by Max)
In Spring, our flowers start to grow and our birds come back (they migrate south for
the cold winter months). As soon as we see tulips bloom, we know Spring is on its way! We
get a lot of rain in Spring too! We plant our flowers and go to the park to play because even
though it is only about 10 degrees Celsius, it feels really warm because the winter has been
so cold! We run around and play at recess and enjoy the sun! It is officially Spring now, and
tomorrow we have “Jump Rope for Heart” so we have been practicing our skipping. Do you
do Jump Rope for Heart too?
We know when it is Spring because the Sky is clear and the flowers start to come out. It feels hot because winter has just been. We haven’t done Jump Rope for Heart at our school but we do have the same program in Australia. (by Kingston)
In Summer, we don’t have school! We have popsicles and freezies and ice cream. It is
hot and humid here. It’s usually about 30 degrees Celsius and then with humidity it feels a
lot hotter! The trees are in full bloom and our grass finally looks green and healthy. Some
of us get to go to cottages on the lake. What is your summer like? Does it get really hot?
What do you do to cool off?
Our summer months are December to February. In summer we have hot days when it gets up to 40 degrees Celsius. We eat popsticks and have cold drinks. We love to swim in summer in pools or at the beach. (by Aaron)
In Fall, the leaves change colour and then they all fall off. We rake them in piles and
jump in them for fun! It starts to get colder. What is your Fall like? We also like Fall
because of Halloween! Here is a picture from our Delhi newspaper of a tractor on a field in
Fall! (There are lots of farms in Delhi!)
It is autumn time right now in Berwick, Australia. It is sometimes quite hot and sometimes cold. When it is breakfast time in the afternoon it is warm. Our leaves change colour and we get windy days that blow them everywhere. (by Elizabeth)
Brody, Aaron, Max, Elizabeth and Kingston
My Place – Your Place
|Pularumpi Town on Melville Island||Pularumpi is at the “top end” of Australia|
The 2FS wrote a short recount about the Skype. They were practising the use of commas by using a list of student names and places in their writing by including the following information. Below is an extract of some of the students’ writing.
- The class and I Skyped to Pularumpi School yesterday. We talked to Bruce, Darnelle, Clara, Pearl and Noelissa.
- Their school was Pularumpi school on Melville Island, in the Tiwi Islands, in Northern Territory, in Australia.
- Yesterday my class Skyped the Northern Territory school in Melville Island, Australia. The teacher is called Mr. Mosley. Mr. Mosley’s students are called Bruce, Darnelle, Clara, Pearl and Noelissa. They are Aboriginal students. Next week we will Skype Bruce, Darnelle, Clara Pearl and Noelissa for more information. This time they are asking the questions.
- Yesterday we Skyped with the Tiwi Island. It was exciting.
- We asked them some questions and we told them where we live. They were in grade T/1 and there was one boy and four girls.
- There were 22 people in their class but some were away. They love fishing, football and soccer. Next week we are going to Skype with them again.
- Yesterday we Skyped with Pularumpi School. Their names were called Bruce, Darnelle, Clara, Pearl and Noelissa. Their favourite thing was swimming and fishing. They were in the Northern Territory, Australia, World, Universe!
Yesterday we went to the Camp Quality Puppet Show. It was about how kids sometimes get cancer. The characters were Kylie and Dean. We learned that you can’t catch cancer. We also learnt that the medicine is called chemotherapy and we learnt that chemotherapy has some side effects. Our hair falls out and you get skinny and your tummy goes around and around. We all enjoyed it and it was very funny.
When the holidays started I went to the movies to watch Frozen. I thought that it was very very funny I went with my friend and his mum we had a great time.